Penn State’s Finance & Business (F&B) organization is over 5,000 employees strong. The organization includes the following mission-critical units: Auxiliary and Business Services (A&BS), Commonwealth Operations, Corporate Controller, Procurement Services, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, F&B at the College of Medicine, Internal Audit, Investment Management, Risk Management, Procurement, Physical Plant, Change Management, and University Police and Public Safety. The experience, talent, and work ethic of employees power F&B through its daily operations across the commonwealth.
Recognizing the significant changes to the higher education landscape, F&B began examining the future state in the latter part of 2018, since the 2014-2019 plan was being extended into 2020 and a new University-wide strategic planning process was unfolding. The advanced planning approach was segmented into four steps:
- Review of F&B Mission, Vision, Values, Guiding Principles, and modify as appropriate.
- Engage in a comprehensive internal and external environmental scan by engaging speakers who are subject matter experts or conducted research in the future of higher education at the national and local levels.
- Assess the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats by each individual operating unit, engaging units through discussions at leadership team meetings and completion of unit SOOW analysis of each operation.
- Articulate those strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats for the F&B Division through a working retreat engaging the assistance of OPAIR to gain agreement on the final list and plan for the work of building the 2020-2025 strategic plan.
Core Planning Team:
- Kurt Kissinger, Associate Vice President for Finance and Business/Controller, College of Medicine and Senior Advisor
- Sue Cromwell, Senior Director, Organizational Excellence and Engagement
- Emil Cunningham, Director, Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Dan Heist, Director, Internal Audit
- Mark Miller, Assistant Vice President of Facilities Management & Deputy Chief Facility Officer
- David Snyder, Assistant Vice President for Auxiliary and Business Services
- Jeff VanHorn, F&B Project Manager
Thank you to past Core Planning Team Members Miranda Finocchio and Jennifer Santiago. Special thank you to the F&B Leadership Team and the many individuals from F&B units who assisted with the planning process. The 2020-25 Strategic Plan wouldn't have been possible without your contributions and dedication.